My name is Emma Farley. I am twenty years old and I am
from the United States. I volunteered as the English teacher at CusiMaky during
July of 2016. It is almost difficult to put into words my experience at
CusiMaky because it changed my life. When I first arrived in Cusco, I had no
idea what I was doing. I was in an unfamiliar city, and although I had traveled
on my own before, I didn’t have much experience working with kids. I was
nervous that I would be a bad teacher or make a mistake.
But my fears didn’t last for long. First of all, I had
the other volunteers to help me with all of my questions. I immediately felt
welcomed into the CusiMaky family. Jeni and Ines welcomed me like a sister, and
the other volunteers from all over the world are some of the best people I have
had the chance to know. During my time there I met and became friends with
volunteers from Belgium, the Netherlands, Canada, the UK, Hungary, Australia,
and the US, just to name a few.
And of course, I got to know the amazing children for
whom CusiMaky exists. From my first day of teaching them, I knew that they are
children with bright minds and hearts full of love. I was constantly amazed at
how the kids smiled, laughed, and loved each moment of life, even though many of
them come from families who have very little. Their positive attitude and
outlook on life is absolutely inspiring.
CusiMaky aims to teach these wonderful kids about
nutrition and development towards becoming active and productive members of
society while also helping them with their schoolwork and teaching them
English. When I left Cusco to return home to the US, I left a piece of my heart
at CusiMaky. I know that I will go back someday. Many volunteers travel abroad
to change the world and teach others how to be successful, but I believe that
many go home realizing that they themselves have been changed, and they learned
a thing or two about their own lives.
Tia Emma gracias por tus lindas palabras, nosotras también te queremos y te extrañamos mucho, la vida nos permite conocer personas de buen corazon como tu, cuidate mucho y nos vemos pronto en Cusimaky-Cusco :D
ReplyDeleteYour website is really cool and this is a great inspiring article. Thank you so much. cheap travel plans
ReplyDelete