Monday, September 19, 2016

My Experience at CusiMaky by Clinton Blair

When I originally began planning my trip to Peru, my idea was simply to visit a friend. I felt apprehensive when he suggested I volunteer with him. Although I had previously taught abroad, I had never combined tourism with work. My experience at CusiMaky conquered those apprehensions. In the end, volunteering became one of the most rewarding, memorable parts of the trip. I had the chance to get to know Cusco in an incredibly authentic way, by meeting its people. And I was smitten from day one.

When I walked into the project, I was greeted by the other volunteers as if I were an old friend. Their genuine kindness made me feel at home and their care and compassion for the kids was infectious. These are hardworking individuals who have dedicated themselves to improving the lives of children. Their devotion is illustrated in their preparation of meals for the kids, in the individual attention they provide for daily homework help, and in their focus on providing basic life skills like hand-washing and teeth-brushing.

And the children! From day one, they called me “tio” (uncle). They wanted to be picked up and swung around, chased and raced. As playful as they were, they were also very interested learning English. One day they demonstrated this commitment by choosing English class over a movie. The younger kids enjoyed their crafts and songs while the older kids loved to compete in English games. Everyday ended with a hug “goodbye.” There is a special poignancy in seeing how different their lives are; they come from an impoverished, difficult neighborhood and yet still exude a sense of joy.


My time in Peru was sprinkled with visits to museums and historic colonial churches, a day trip to Incan ruins, a hike up to Machu Picchu, and lunches sampling that famous Peruvian cuisine. But in the end, when I think of Peru, I don't think about the beauty of the Andes, the leashed llamas, or the delicious ceviche. I think about the warm greetings and the affectionate goodbyes, the excited voices of kids playing English games, and the ubiquitous chants of “cárgame" (lift me). As much as I love my travel photos, souvenirs and tours, this will not be the last summer I spend volunteering.

3 comments:

  1. Do not use all of these Private Money Lender here.They are located in Nigeria, Ghana Turkey, France and Israel.My name is Mrs.Ramirez Cecilia, I am from Philippines. Have you been looking for a loan?Do you need an urgent personal or business loan?contact Fast Legitimate Loan Approval he help me with a loan of $78.000 some days ago after been scammed of $19,000 from a woman claiming to be a loan lender from Nigeria but i thank God today that i got my loan worth $78.000.Feel free to contact the company for a genuine financial Email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great knowledge, do anyone mind merely reference back to it get cheap bank loan

    ReplyDelete